Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Who Is Responsible?

Your Project Manager (PM) is extremely efficient. He always delivers on time. The quality of his team's output is always appreciated by the customer. However, at the end of the project, he always loses people. Invariably 2-3 people turn in their resignations. You call your HR and discuss the findings of the exit interview. Seems like your PM is a hard task master. And your employees feel that for the same effort they put in here, they can better rewards elsewhere. A little digging and you get to know that in some cases the people who have left your company have actually joined another company as the same salary or even lower salary. You decide to attend the next exit interview. As expected, there is one soon. This is what the person who has resigned has to tell:

"I have no complain against the company. I have learned a lot. In fact the PM has given me lots of opportunity to exhibit my skills. I was given enough responsibility. This has been a long project and I am exhausted. My life outside the office is in a sorry state. I spent most of the weekends in the office. I would like to take a break. My friends in other companies work less and get better paid. In addition, they (meaning the company where he is joining) has promised me an abroad opportunity and a promotion. Your company is great for learning. But not for growing."

You call for the Project Manager. He has a simple answer, "I do my job. I get the work done. It is the responsibility of the senior management to retain people. I cannot ensure growth. That you need to take care. In any case, the other company knows that we train good engineers. Our people are in great demand outside."

You point out that the resignations are by and large from his group. The PM just shrugs.

What do you do?

What do you do?

PS: My views here:
Determing responsibility

No comments: